Monday, September 20, 2010

Well here goes another post from the last month or so in the late summer of 2010.  We have been busy mainly trying to recover from my ailments.  But all seems to be well now.  Ann and Sherwood came by one Saturday and invited us on the mountain so we went with them in their truck.  The mountain was so green for late August.

















Pam went to Pleasant Grove to be with Erin when Beth was born.  It was a wonderful occasion and Beth was another beautiful Colton production.  Kate was so cute with her and Erin seemed to be doing excellent in her recovery.  



 

 





After going home I decided it was now or never with your mother's pet project of the fireplace.  So I got brave and took it down.  It was a sad day as it was one of my best productions.  Something I'll never do again I'm sure.  But it didn't take too long to knock it all down and get it outside and ready for the trash.







While this was going on a seemingly insignificant fire began brewing over in Beaver and before you knew it it had moved north up and down the ridges until we began getting an afternoon deluge of smoke and ash.  It is sill going on with no end in sight.  I-70 up clear creek canyon has been closed for the last few days and who knows when the fire will be put out.  Another of these "let it burn because that is natures way."!!!



I began the rebuilding process a week ago and by the time Pam arrived home on Wednesday of last week the box was in and the new sheetrock applied to the mantle.  I also had the new wooden mantle in place and when she got home she helped me a lot in finishing the mudding on the new corner that extended down to the floor and then eventually the painting.  Thursday of last week I had the new box set and we began tiling.  It went pretty well and by the afternoon we had everything in place.  On Friday the vertical wooden columns were set and the grout put on the tile and Pam also finished painting the entire south wall all around the fireplace and in the two alcoves.  By 7:30 pm we had everything cleaned up and the front room back to order so that we could host an Area Seventy for our stake conference.  So we are now in the process of finishing up the wood mantle [paint] and I guess we are committed to painting the entire front room.  Hope everyone likes it !!!






3 comments:

Sarah said...

Looks amazing! Good work Joe.

the coltons said...

it looks so great! and SO different - i can't believe how different it can look with a few changes. i'm sorry it was a sad day for you, dad - but it looks fantastic!

Johanna said...

Wow! Nice work! We're contemplating painting our front room too - I'll be thinking of you up on my ladder ...